Introducing your NAHT Cymru staff team:
Director - NAHT Cymru – Laura Doel
Based in our Cardiff Office
The OCSO role replaces our previous Specialist Assistant role.
The OCSO role is wide ranging and includes:
- supporting, advising and representing members in employment related cases such as parental complaints, grievances and disciplinary matters.
- supporting members, through the development of professional learning opportunities
- supporting training and development of branches.
Regional Officer (RO), based in South Wales – Dominic Kingsmill-Stoker - (3 days per week)
Regional Officer (RO), based in North Wales – Malachy Edwards - (3 days per week)
The RO roles are wide ranging and include:
- advising and assisting members with problems they face at work in carrying out their professional duties, in particular, when they are the focus of serious matters that may affect their continued employment.
- advising and supporting members through suspension and/or investigation into their activities/conduct and take steps to establish effective communication with employers on behalf of individual members to attempt to resolve problems at an early stage.
- supporting training and development of branches
Director – NAHT Cymru
The Director role is wide ranging and includes:
- in consultation with NAHT Executive, NAHT Cymru Executive and members, establishing clear policy positions;
- co-ordinating responses to priority, relevant educational policy and inquiries as appropriate;
- leading political lobbying on educational matters, as appropriate.
- taking responsibility for negotiations in respect of curriculum, assessment, general educational issues and collective issues for members such as pay and conditions.
NAHT Cymru President: Ruth Davies
Advice and support
The most effective NAHT Cymru branches have clear lines of communication via their elected officials. All members' first port of call for advice and support should routinely be via their Branch Secretary (or another nominated local official such as Branch President). If you do not know who your branch secretary is, please email email@example.com and we will provide contact information.
Branch Secretaries are the most effective links between you as members and our NAHT Cymru Executive / NAHT Cymru staff.
Branch Secretaries should attend every NAHT Cymru Executive Committee meeting (PGC - Pwyllgor Gwaith Cymru) to supply essential information from your branch into NAHT Cymru, as well as to receive crucial information from the committee to feed back to you via the branch.
The NAHT Cymru Executive and NAHT Cymru staff – OCSO, ROs and Director – rely on an effective line of communication from your branches, via the Branch Secretaries, in order to anticipate issues, provide best support and understand what is affecting you and your schools. Without this effective dialogue, it is impossible for NAHT Cymru to provide you with the most effective support and advice, particularly during member representation. This can only take place with an effective, communicative and functioning branch.
In order to ensure that members in Wales are able to receive the best NAHT advice and support from the most appropriate person, as soon as possible, a new system is in place.
Members should dial in to 029 2048 4546, select the appropriate option via the numerical menu and be directed, or booked in, to speak to the right member of staff as soon as possible.
Members can also email into firstname.lastname@example.org with relevant information, general and specific queries and also be directed to the right member of NAHT staff, for a call-back if required (please include contact details if a response is required).
For example, general advice related to pensions and / or employment law can be provided by our team at Haywards Heath as neither matter is currently devolved to Welsh Government.
Advice related to areas affected by regulations or legislation specific to Wales can be provided by our Wales-based team.
Even when members require representation from our Wales-based staff (including in the Welsh language), this can still be booked in and organised via the 029 2048 4546telephone number, through staff at Haywards Heath and / or the email@example.com email.