NAHT is a trade union affiliate of Maternity Action, the UK’s maternity rights charity.
What is Maternity Action?
Maternity Action is dedicated to promoting, protecting, and enhancing the rights of all pregnant women, new mothers and their families to employment, social security, and healthcare. It aims to reduce poverty, promote health and improve gender equality throughout maternity and the early years, with a special focus on achieving lasting changes for the most vulnerable and disadvantaged women.
What services does it offer?
- Maternity Action provides free advice line and access to expert legal advice on employment rights and benefits
- Maternity Action provides a range of free guidance on maternity and parental rights at work, benefits for low-income families and the entitlements of migrant, asylum seeker and refugee women to housing, income and healthcare
- Maternity Action also has a programme of research, policy and campaigning on employment, social security and healthcare.
What does affiliation mean for NAHT?
- Maternity Action will provide NAHT with access to up-to-date information and advice, with news on latest research, policy and employment rights developments, and government consultations
- Membership of the Alliance for Maternity Rights coalition: working with other trade unions and campaigning organisations to share information and ideas and to lobby for effective change on maternity rights
- The affiliation provides better opportunities for NAHT and Maternity Action to speak to members on issues around maternity rights.