Diversity Role Models’ Head of Education, Jac Bastian, will explore the importance of celebrating different families and tackling stereotypes in EYFS. Through personal stories from same-sex families to exploring a range of inclusive resources and activity ideas, practitioners will gain the skills and confidence to embed a celebration of diversity into their teaching practice.
Session Aims and Objectives
The session will support you to:
- Understand the importance of celebrating diversity and tackling stereotypes
- Understand how this meets requirements for the EYFS Framework and Ofsted
- Gain skills and confidence in discussing differences and different families
- Learn to challenge gender stereotypes through activities and learning
- Generate ideas for activities centred around celebrating difference that you can take back to your setting
- Learn how to ensure topics such as same-sex families and adoption are discussed in a positive and age-appropriate manner
- Overcome challenges such as parental objections to discussing different families
All those working in Early Years
Session Leader Profile
Jac has held a range of positions in charities engaging young people in political and social issues and is committed to empowering students, staff and the whole school community to create truly inclusive schools. He has worked at Diversity Role Models for nearly 4 years and has trained thousands of staff members, delivered workshops to students at every phase and created a range of teaching resources on LGBT+ inclusion. Originally from Swansea he now lives in South London and is passionate about grassroots activism and campaigning.