Home Menu

Members' home

Our people icon.jpg

T Levels

What subjects are available?

The first three T Levels began at selected sites in September 2020 and were courses in:

  • Digital production, design and development
  • Design, surveying and planning
  • Education

Further T Level qualifications are set to begin in September 2021 in:

  • Building services engineering for construction
  • Digital business services
  • Digital support services
  • Health
  • Healthcare science
  • Onsite construction
  • Science

The technical qualifications for the above seven T Levels have now been approved by the Institute of Apprenticeships and accredited by Ofqual for teaching from September 2021. You can find more information here.

Structure and certification

T Level students spend 80% of the course in the classroom, learning the skills that employers need. The other 20% is an industry placement in which these skills are put into action. Through this, the courses include, as compulsory:

  • A technical qualification, incorporating:
    • Core theory, concepts and skills for an industry area
    • Specialist skills and knowledge for an occupation or career
  • An industry placement with an employer
  • A minimum standard in maths and English, if students have not already achieved them.

Students who complete their T Level will receive an overall grade of pass, merit, distinction or distinction*. More information on grading and certification can be found here, including information on the comparability of T Levels and A Levels in UCAS tariff points.

What funding will be available?

Additional funding is required for schools to successfully introduce and deliver T Levels. The government has set out details of how T levels will be funded here. They have also announced a third round of T Level capital funding of £135m, details of which and application forms can be found here.​

First published 17 February 2021

NAHT Life logo

NAHT Life gives you the opportunity to continue your membership of the biggest union for school leaders both in post and in retirement.


NAHT Life focuses on helping retired members receive excellent trade union services and allows you to continue to play an active volunteer role within NAHT regions and branches, if that’s what you choose to do!

Please note to qualify for the benefits of NAHT Life membership you must join NAHT life within six months of retiring. 

Please ensure NAHT has your correct post-retirement contact details.

NAHT is currently reviewing, renewing and refreshing its services to support NAHT life member.

The Life Members' Sector Council (LMSC)

Whether leaving a labour of love or embracing a life of leisure, there can be no doubt that retirement from school leadership marks a huge change in lifestyle. There will be adjustments to make, new challenges to take and a range of new opportunities. At a time like this, it is important that our experienced members do not lose all the support they received in their working life. Our life members’ committee is here to ensure members are supported in retirement.

This committee feeds its extensive wealth of experience and know-how to support the work of NAHT. It also gives our life members the chance to make important contributions to our campaigns for working members.  

The committee, which meets four times a year, is made up of one elected representative from each of our regions, with the addition of one place each for Northern Ireland and Wales. And these elected committee members, normally, serve a three-year term.

Areas of focus for the committee include the following: 

  • Current legislation issues eg pension provision
  • Action against discrimination, including age discrimination.
LMSC chair

John Killeen (National Executive member): john.killeen@nahtofficials.org.uk

LMSC vice-chair

Nigel Patton: nigel.patton@nahtofficials.org.uk

LMSC communications officer

Michael Wilson: Michael.wilson@nahtofficials.org.uk

LMSC deputy communications officer

Eugene Symonds: eugene.symonds@nahtofficials.org.uk

Committee servicing officer

Frances Geddes has the responsibility for working closely with the LMSC as servicing officer. She can be contacted via email frances.geddes@naht.org.uk.

For further details and contact information about all current LMSC members please check out ‘Who’s who’ and the ‘List of LMSC members'.

See also

Join now - Life Membership 
Life membership FAQs
Life members' sector council
Update Your Details
Tax relief
Pensions advice
Who's who