Chair: Adam Robbins, head teacher, Roding Primary School.
The diversity and inclusion group (formerly the equalities committee) focuses on issues relating to diversity and inclusion within the association, the profession and primary schools, secondary schools, all-through schools, special schools, multi-academy trusts, stand-alone academies and maintained schools.
This group is a sub-committee of membership services, which scrutinise the way NAHT supports its members.
The diversity and inclusion group's main areas of interest are as follows:
- Championing equality and diversity within the association, including reviewing ways to ensure better representation and engagement across NAHT's democratic structures for members with protected characteristics
- Overseeing implementation of NAHT's equalities statement, which commits to pursuing, developing and championing equalities and equal opportunities in members' employment. Under this plan, NAHT actively seeks to do the following:
- Challenge and protect members from unlawful discrimination in employment matters
- Ensure members are represented by structures that are reflective of the make-up of our membership and the profession as a whole
- Oppose all forms of harassment, prejudice and unfair discrimination against individuals and groups with protected characteristics.
- Reviewing matters of education policy relating to equality and diversity issues, both for the profession and pupils
- Implementing external recommendations on equalities and diversity from bodies such as the TUC
- Monitoring ongoing issues in equalities legislation.
For any other questions about the committee, get in touch with our policy team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.