This month, we speak to Jill Berry, former head of Dame Alice Harpur school in Bedford, about her new book ‘making the leap: moving from deputy to head’ and how to take the ultimate step in school leadership.
In this wide-ranging interview, Jill explores the following:
- The journey of moving from the classroom to middle leadership
- The key characteristics of highly effective middle leaders
- The fundamental differences between middle and senior leadership
- The importance of getting the right people on the bus (inheriting vs inhabiting)
- How to choose the correct school for you to lead
- How a change of school could keep more people in the profession
- The one way to be a great head teacher
- What you can do to prepare for a new headship that starts in September.
You can also listen on iTunes here.