This new multi-agency statutory guidance on female genital mutilation (FGM) has been published for all bodies in England and Wales. For schools, this guidance must be read alongside other safeguarding guidance including (but not limited to):
The guidance covers the following topics:
- Understanding FGM, the types of FGM and its prevalence.
- The law in England and Wales, including:
- the Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003
- FGM protection orders
- anonymity of victims of FGM
- mandatory reporting for professionals (including teachers)
- Principles of working together to tackle FGM, including victim-centred and multi-agency approaches, working with communities, awareness training and information sharing.
The guidance sets out additional information and consideration for schools and colleges (p60-62). This includes information on how to raise awareness of FGM within the curriculum and extra-curricular activities, and how to act on concerns about a student being prevented from attending an education setting as a result of FGM. Also of use to members may be Annex D (p.48) which runs through different safeguarding scenarios in relation to FGM, Annex H (p.73) which contains a list of useful contact numbers and Annex I (p.77) which presents further resources.
First published 03 August 2020