The Department for Education (DfE) has released a revised version of the governance handbook for 2019. The governance handbook sets out the roles, functions and legal duties of governing boards in maintained schools, academies and multi academy trusts. It also describes the main features of effective governance and where governing boards can find support.
Changes from the previous version (January 2017) include:
- An increased emphasis on parental engagement
- An increased emphasis and new sub-section on teacher and school leader workload
- Clarification on LA associated people (LAAPs) serving as members
- A new sub-section on oversight of a school or academy trust
- A new sub-section on setting executive leaders' pay
- A greater emphasis on boards understanding the role of SBLs
- A number of compliance updates including on the board's duties in relation to safeguarding, statutory careers guidance and clarifications on dealing with complaints.
The governance handbook should be considered alongside the department's 'Competency Framework for Governance' and the 'Clerking Competency Framework', which describe the knowledge, skills and behaviours needed for effective governance and professional clerking.
First published 25 March 2019