The Institute of School Business Leadership (ISBL), in partnership with NAHT, ASCL, NGA, Unison and the Department for Education, has released a set of reviewed professional standards for school business leaders (SBLs).
The standards are intended to:
- set out the core and specialist areas of competence required to be successful in the School Business Leadership role;
- assist those currently working in, or aspiring to work in, the School Business Leadership role to undertake their duties as expertly as possible;
- set out the content of both initial and continuing professional development for those entering or developing their career in the profession;
- provide a framework for the development of qualifications and other professional recognition for school business leaders.
Alongside the Professional Standards, ISBL has released complementary guidance aimed at school leaders and governors, to support employers to best understand the role of school business professionals in order that they can recruit, develop and appraise these roles effectively.
The guidance provides a summary of the new ISBL Professional Standards and is intended to support those employing SBLs to:
- assess and identify school business knowledge and skill levels in the organisation;
- support recruitment;
- assist induction;
- support appraisals;
- help shape CPD and school business career pathways.
For head teacher and governance guidance, click here.
For more information on the professional standards, click here.
First published 08 July 2019