The Department for Education (DfE) has updated its good estate management for schools (GEMS) guidance. The guidance aims to help schools and responsible bodies manage their buildings and land.
The new updates include the following:
- An interactive version of the GEMS self-assessment tool, which will automatically generate an action plan for the school
- An interactive tool to help track compliance with health and safety and building regulations and inspections
- A checklist to help reduce energy and water usage
- Updates to the health and safety section. It now includes more information on responsibilities and updated guidance and links from the Health and Safety Executive
- Updates to the skills and knowledge section. It now includes links to ISBL's professional standards and the competency framework for governing boards.
In addition, the DfE has updated some of the navigation features to improve the usability of the GEMS guidance.
Alongside this, the DfE has also published updated its asbestos management guidance for schools.
First published 20 October 2020