NAHT is working with Early Education and the All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Maintained Nursery Schools, Nursery and Reception Classes to campaign for funding to secure the future of our maintained nursery schools.
In the week of the government's spring financial statement, together we have organised an afternoon of action in London to make politicians aware of the important role that maintained nursery schools play and the perilous situation they are facing going forward.
When: Monday 11 March, 3pm for 3.30pm start
Where: London - lobby your MPs in House of Commons Committee Room 14, followed by a march on Downing Street
The following activities will take place on 11 March:
- Rally and lobby of MPs: from 3pm to 4.30pm, House of Commons Committee Room 14 (MPs are likely to arrive at 3.30pm after Education Questions)
- March on Downing Street to present the chancellor with a letter from maintained nursery schools: assemble at 4.30pm in Parliament Square.
We hope press coverage of these events will shine a spotlight on maintained nursery schools. We are aiming to have representation from every nursery school in the country at this event.
We are asking members to do four things:
- Attend the rally and lobby in Parliament and the march (please let us know you're coming – email email@example.com)
- Write to your MP to ask them to attend the lobby at 3.30pm on 11 March (in Committee Room 14). It is Education Questions on 11 March, so you could ask them to raise maintained nursery schools in the House of Commons chamber with ministers
- Produce a poster to represent your school, involving the children, to bring on 11 March
- Sign the letter to the chancellor.
We will be in touch with members with further details and the letter. Please share these widely with your nursery school colleagues and networks, put the date in your diary and try to come to London to #saveournurseryschools.
First published 18 February 2019