The Dfe has released a report presenting an analysis of early years providers’ finances using data from the survey of childcare and early years providers (SCEYP) for 2018.
The aim of this work was:
- To present the total cost of delivering childcare for all ages of children in the setting and the total income received by the setting, together with their constituent parts, for different types of providers.
- To analyse how the ratio of total income to total cost relates to setting characteristics such as child profile and geographic location.
- To explore providers’ costs by describing the patterns in the unit cost and staff hourly pay and analysing how these patterns relate to provider type, setting characteristics and individual staff characteristics.
- To explore providers’ income by describing the patterns in the underlying parent-paid hourly fees and additional charges for parents and analysing how these patterns relate to provider type and setting characteristics.
- To combine the evidence to develop an understanding of the financial models of different types of settings.
First published 01 April 2019