NAHT is proud to be a partner of the #iwill campaign. Together we are a UK-wide movement aiming to make participation in meaningful social action a normal part of life for young people. We encourage 10 to 20-year-olds across the UK to take part in volunteering, campaigning and fundraising for a range of worthwhile causes. Involvement in social action has been shown to create a double benefit: to communities and young people by helping them to develop their employability skills and wellbeing. The #iwill campaign is a cross-party, cross-sector initiative supported by more than 700 influential organisations.
On the week commencing 20 November, we will be shining a light on the great work that young people are currently involved in that helps to build communities. We’d like you to consider how your school or college can get involved. You’ll be part of a growing UK-wide movement that celebrates the capacity of young people to lead social change.
How your school or college can get involved
- Encourage students to make an #iwill pledge to help others in your community.
- Dress up or down day: raise money for a cause, integrating a presentation/video and some discussion about getting involved in social action.
- Shine a light on the great work young people are already involved in that helps to build communities within the school or college and externally.
- Run an event with local charities and employers to understand the local community and how young people can make a difference.
- Integrate social action into your ethos, culture and practice – announce your appointment of a senior leader to be your #iwill champion.
Still stuck for ideas? There are lots more great ideas and resources to help you celebrate here. Don’t forget to tell the #iwill campaign what you’re up to by adding a pin on our #iwillweek map.