AQA are an independent education charity and a provider of academic qualifications. Their qualifications include GCSEs, AS and A-levels, the Extended Project Qualification, the AQA Baccalaureate, Tech-levels and Technical Awards
- You can access information about their GCSEs qualifications here
- You can access information about their A Level qualifications here
- You can access information about their technical and vocational awards here
If you need to contact AQA about any issues or queries you can contact them here.
AQA responds to DfE's decision not to approve tech qualifications for 2019
AQA has responded to NAHT following the Department for Education's (DfE) decision not to approve nine technical qualifications for inclusion in the 2019 performance tables.
"Although they won't be included in performance tables for 2019, we'll also be offering certification in the nine awards, in their current form, for that series. We believe these are valuable qualifications and understand that many teachers are still keen to offer them to their students now. The qualifications will be known as AQA Level 1/2 Awards. They are approved for Section 96 funding (meaning they can be offered in state-funded schools and colleges), but they will not count towards DfE performance tables in 2019. We'll accept submissions for the internally assessed units (units one and two) in 2018 and will moderate these in the usual way. However, the first exam series (unit three) and certification opportunity will be 2019.
Following this decision, AQA has confirmed that they have regretfully decided not to offer their AQA Level 1/2 Awards beyond 2019, as it’s unlikely there will be enough interest to sustain them if they don’t count towards performance tables. The last exams for students taking the current AQA Level 1/2 Award will be in the June 2019 series. You can read more here.
Note: Technical Award in Performing Arts is now included in 2020 performance tables
Key updates from latest meeting
NAHT meets with AQA regularly, both on an individual basis and with other school leaders' and teaching associations. Key updates from the latest meetings include:
- The social media team provided a presentation on the work it undertakes; part of it focused on customer service, but it also offers proactive support, eg releasing advice/guidance on the summer exam series for both teachers and students.
- Summer 2019 series: AQA has developed support to guide teachers and schools with tiering decisions ahead of the summer 2019 series, given that Ofqual has been clear it will not be allowing another ‘safety net’ pass.
First published 16 May 2019