This comprehensive guide explains all aspects that head teachers, governing bodies and local authorities need to consider when making the decision to exclude pupils from maintained schools, academies and PRUs, including the following:
- The head teacher’s duties and power to exclude
- The governing body’s and local authority’s duties to arrange education for excluded pupils
- The governing body’s duty to consider the exclusion
- The local authority’s or academy trust’s duty to arrange an independent review panel
- The SEN expert
- The duties of independent review panel members, the clerk and the SEN expert for an independent review panel
- Statutory guidance on the conduct of an independent review panel
- Statutory guidance to independent review panel members on coming to a decision
- Financial readjustment/payment
- Statutory guidance to SEN experts on their conduct during an independent review panel
- Statutory guidance to the clerk, and local authority or academy trust on the record of the proceedings of a review panel
- The governing body’s duty to reconsider an exclusion decision following a review
- The local authority’s role in overseeing the financial readjustment/payment
- Statutory guidance on police involvement and parallel criminal proceedings.
This article is available to NAHT members only.