The Department for Education (DfE) has recently provided the following guidance to academies on admissions appeals arrangements and complaints procedures:
- Academies must publish their timetables for organising and hearing admission appeals on their websites by 28 February each year. This is in accordance with the requirement set out in section two of the school admission appeals code
- Schools should follow the statutory requirements in both the school admission appeals code and the school admissions code when organising admission appeals
- DfE have published a summary of the main findings from their review of academy independent appeal panels (IAP) complaints in 2014. The summary also includes recommendations to help ensure all future appeals are compliant and reduce the likelihood of complaints being made
- EFA has updated guidance to support academies and free schools in drawing up and administering compliant complaints procedures
- All academies and free schools are required to have procedures which meet certain requirements of the education (independent school standards) (England) regulations 2014 and to make their procedures available to parents of prospective and current pupils
If you have any queries regarding admissions please contact the NAHT advice team on 0300 30 30 333 (option 1).
Page Published: 10/03/2015