Following their announcement on 31 January, Ofsted has introduced a rolling programme of no-notice inspections focusing on behaviour and safety. These inspections will be targeted on the basis of parental concerns and evidence from previous inspections.
Guidance for inspectors has been published, setting out the type of activities that inspectors will undertake when conducting these inspections. Activities will include:
- observation of pupils’ arrival at school;
- observation of behaviour between lessons, on arrival at lessons, at break time and lunchtime;
- observation of pupils’ attitudes to learning;
- observation of ‘internal exclusion’ room, ‘remove room’ or equivalent;
- formal discussions with a group of pupils that the school has worked with to improve behaviour;
- scrutiny of the school’s records and analysis of behaviour; and
- discussion with staff and leader.
The full guidance is available here.
If you experience such an inspection, let us know how it went at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Page Published: 19/02/2014