NAHT members are at the forefront of safeguarding children. School leaders are committed to keeping children safe, so they can learn well. NAHT recognises the fundamental role that mental health plays in children’s success and that poor mental health is a significant barrier to learning. Recognition needs to be given to the increasing contribution schools are making to support the mental health and wellbeing of children.
This is why NAHT is campaigning to:
- Protect children and staff from physical harm in built environment (for example, dangers of asbestos).
- Improve quality and consistency of safeguarding arrangements.
- Ensure that PSHE (including SRE) becomes a statutory subject.
- Ensure high level of awareness of children’s mental health and wellbeing
- Ensure that children and young people with mental health issues receive the support they need, both from the school workforce and from other agencies.