The course will give SENCOs and senior leaders in mainstream schools a better understanding of Ofsted’s new expectations with regard to outcomes for disabled pupils, those with special educational needs and those with mental health needs. You will explore what is expected for leadership and management, good and outstanding teaching, learning and assessment, personal development, behaviour and welfare and outcomes for pupils.
Delegates will consider:
- supportive classroom environments for all pupils
- the role of the SENCO - revised code of practice
- the role of the SENCO and senior leaders in monitoring and supporting provision and outcomes
- measuring progress and achievement for pupils including those with profound needs
- how to manage and develop appropriate training programmes to equip teaching and support staff
- recognise the difference between underperformance and special educational needs
- make additional or different arrangements that lead to an improvement in progress
- guidance on restraint
- the role of the governing body and the link governor
During the course you will be taken through each major aspect of the framework considering new elements and changes of emphasis so that you understand Ofsted's expectations.
Understand how to recognise and record the progress of disabled pupils and those with special educational needs, taking into account starting points and national expectations. Also consider the impact of funded support on closing gaps in progress and attainment.
The course will provide guidance on developing supportive, vibrant classroom environments for all pupils designed to maximise each student’s potential. The role of support staff and their relationship with class teachers will be explored. Guidelines of the use of reasonable force will be considered.
Leaders will understand the importance of providing professional development for all staff in order to give them confidence in making initial identifications of SEND, and providing additional or different arrangements for individual pupils that lead to a consequent improvement in progress.
Please bring with you a printed copy of Ofsted’s most recent School inspection handbook. This can be downloaded from the Ofsted website
Start: 0900 for 0930