NAHT has announced the launch of a new affiliate association and union, known as NAHT Edge. This association will be aimed at ambitious and committed middle leaders in schools, offering a blend of traditional trade union protection and high quality leadership development, underwritten by NAHT's experienced staff and officers.
Members of NAHT see it as a duty to mentor and support the next generation of leaders in an increasingly challenging education climate. Many potential members are already part of NAHT, or have been eligible in the past, but the creation of a new organisation enables us to focus on the specific needs of middle leaders at this point in their careers.
To suit the needs of this audience, NAHT Edge will use online technology to create a direct democracy, enabling all active members to help create policy and express their voice. The connection with NAHT will also strengthen the bonds between middle and senior leaders, building strong alliances within schools for a better education system. Because NAHT Edge members will be part of the NAHT family, they will be entitled to full trade union recognition and representation.
Membership will be open from September 2014 to teachers in schools with responsibilities beyond their own classroom who satisfy at least one of the following criteria:
- lead a subject or curriculum area
- are accountable for pupil development across the curriculum
- develop the teaching practice of other staff
- manage other staff and/or are accountable for their performance.
Benefits will include:
- Expert advice, development and support across leadership, curriculum and pedagogy
- Legal representation and employment advice
- Practical guides and policy templates
- Career development such as mentoring, shadowing and secondment opportunities
- Online community
- Up-to-date news, policy and debate online via the web, e-zine and emails
- Essential school services and personal benefits from approved partners.
To register your interest in NAHT Edge, please complete the form below.